Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Midterm Assessment

Learning Outcomes

  • 1. Gain Shakespeare Literacy


    Demonstrate mastery over fundamental information about Shakespeare’s works, life, and legacy
    a. Breadth (knowledge of a range of Shakespeare’s works)
    I'm gaining a broader knowledge of Shakespeare's writings as I continue to read his works and study them.
    b. Depth (more thorough knowledge of a single work)
    I'm going to choose one of Shakespeare's plays and go more in depth with it.
    c. Performance (stage and screen)
    We got to watch the Merchant of Venice on Stage and I've watched the Kenneth Branagh films of Henry V and Hamlet. I've got a blog in the works about the Hamlet film.
    d. Legacy (history, scholarship, popular culture)
    Hm, this is probably the area that I'm struggling most in. I'm not super in touch with pop culture but I've been trying to relate Shakespeare with things that are more relevant in modern day. (Time Travel and Shakespeare; The Tragical History of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark)
  • 2. Analyze Shakespeare Critically

    Interpret Shakespeare’s works critically in their written form, in performance (stage or screen) and in digitally mediated transformations. This includes 
    a. Textual analysis (theme, language, formal devices)
    I've done this my blogs about The Tempest and Henry V. 
    b. Contextual analysis (historical, contemporary, cultural)
    I think I need to look more into the context of Shakespeare's plays cause that's pretty interesting. I did a little bit with the Tempest when I read about how it was Shakespeare's last play and it was kind of like he was saying goodbye to his audiences through Prospero. But I didn't blog about it.
    c. Application of literary theories 
    Um...yeah...I'm not sure exactly what this means soooo....I'm probably not doing it.
    d. Analysis of digital mediations
    I've analyzed Kenneth Branagh's films of Henry V and Hamlet (although I haven't written my blog about Hamlet yet).
  • 3. Engage Shakespeare Creatively


    a. Performance (memorization, recitation, scene on stage or video)
    I need to be better about finding speeches that I want to memorize.
    b. Individual creative work (literary imitation, art, music)
    Hm, I've been rolling thoughts around in my head but I haven't really gone anywhere with it yet.
    c. Collaborative creative project
    Again, I've been trying to come up with ideas to collaborate with people but so far, nothing outstanding has surfaced.
  • 4. Share Shakespeare Meaningfully


    This includes engaging in the following:
    a. Formal Writing. Develop and communicate your ideas about Shakespeare clearly in formal and researched writing and through a format and medium that puts your ideas into public circulation.
    Not so much formal writing. Except that my informal writing (blog) tends to be kind of formal... 
    b. Informal Writing. This mainly means through regular online writing
    I'm trying to be better at blogging more frequently and more interestingly. I think I'm still not very successful at being a good blogger but I'm trying.
    c. Connecting. Share one’s learning and creative work with others both in and outside of class.
    Haha, this one. I think I'm doing a fair job. So I haven't been able to find anyone yet to have an in depth Shakespeare conversation with but I definitely have been able to use it when I was babysitting (If you prick us, do we not bleed?) and when my roommate had to go to the emergency room last week I got to read Hamlet to her :) 
  • 5. Gain Digital Literacy

    Students use their study of Shakespeare as a way of understanding and developing fluency in 21st century learning skills and computer-mediated modes of communication. Those skills are grouped under the following categories.
    a. Consume - Effective and independent selecting, searching, researching, 
    I've been able to read about Shakespeare's life and I've found some external blogs that are interesting.

    b. Create - Producing content that demonstrates learning and which can be shared for others to profit from.
    I've been trying to blog about my learning. I don't know if it's that interesting, but I hope that others can find some kind of profit from it. I've changed the layout to fit better with the focus of my blog and the tone of it.

    c. Connect - Engage with other learners within and outside of the class to develop thinking and share more formal work.
    I think I'm pretty good at connecting with others through making comments on others blogs but I don't know about the formal work...

No comments:

Post a Comment