Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Tragical History of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark (Part One)

Hamlet. "To be or not to be." The famous line. What kind of man says these words? And why?

So we had a pretty good discussion about Hamlet in class today that helped me out a lot, actually. I'll admit that I've been struggling with this play. And it's weird because I've seen it before on stage and I LOVED it. I don't know if it's because I'm like post-mission or what. . . nah, that's not it.

Ok, well it kind of is. Kind of. On my mission I really learned how to relate to people and how to love them and be empathetic to them and just all sorts of good stuff. So my struggle with Hamlet is I feel like I can't relate to him. Or anyone in the play for that matter! It's like. . . weird.

In class today we discussed what makes a tragedy a tragedy. Basically what I learned. . . it's the body count when the curtain closes. Pretty much. Actually, normal tragedies begin with the murder of someone and then for the rest of the play we get to see the outcome of it. But in this play, Hamlet sits around (Lie. He actually erratically wanders around pretending to be crazy.) for almost the entire play musing aloud about what he should do. He's a thinker, this one.

So in the "To be or not to be" speech, Hamlet is pondering on whether it would be better for him to just kill himself and end his troubles or if he should stick around the twisted world he finds himself in. He says it waaay better than I just did, though, cause he's so DEEP. Shakespeare really did do a great job of making his characters three-dimensional. Maybe I can't relate to him cause I'm actually a two-dimensional person. When I turn sideways, you can't see me.

Anyway, I think the real reason I'm having trouble relating to these characters is because. . . I'm not mad!

No comments:

Post a Comment