Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Time Travel and Shakespeare

As I was reading Rebecca's post about Doctor Who going back in time to meet Shakespeare, a memory was dredged up from the depths of my mind.

When I was probably like ten years old, I read a book by Susan Cooper called King of Shadows. I remember I loved it but I haven't thought about it in ages! Rebecca's post reminded me of it because it's about this boy who is in theater and he goes back in time and performs A Midsummer Night's Dream with the real William Shakespeare. In the process he finds healing from tragedies that have happened in his past. It's a great book!

Wow, I think that might have been my first exposure to Shakespeare. I just remember that I loved the character of Shakespeare because the author portrayed him as very fatherly and loving and perceptive. And one of the things that I've since come to conclude is that Shakespeare really understood people. As I've read and watched his plays, I'm continually amazed at how well he portrays people. He had a gift not only to mold the English language, but to discern who people really are and what drives them. He understood what made people do the things they do and is able to recreate that in his plays. And I think that is why his plays are timeless. As others watch his plays, they are able to relate with his characters because they are so real. I love that! William Shakespeare was such a genius.

2 comments:

  1. I totally remember that book! Thanks for the reference to my blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shakespeare's talent really is amazing! I like how that author portrayed Shakespeare as a fatherly man, because, even if some of the scenes of his plays aren't exactly loving (such as the "unsex me now" speech Dr. Burton referenced last night), they do show how amazingly perceptive and understanding Shakespeare was of humanity.

    ReplyDelete