Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lord of the Lear

This week has been super busy and I'm afraid my blogging has suffered. Maybe if I practice flattery I'll become as good as Goneril and Regan and be able to talk my way to my Professor's good favor. Ha. No thanks.

Ok, King Lear. To be honest, this is the most interesting of all the Shakespeare plays I've read so far because before I read it, I really didn't know anything about it. It isn't Shakespeare's most popular play. I really like reading it because I have this wide open slate with really no expectations. I get to make my own observations about it without being influenced from stuff I've heard about the play before.

And because I don't have a preconceived notion of what King Lear is like, the first image that my mind drew upon as I was reading was.......wait for it.......DENETHOR! Lord of the Rings, baby.


Don't you see the resemblance??? They both have these awesome kids, Cordelia and Faramir, who really love them and they just don't get the picture. King Lear and Denethor are just blinded by....stupidity? I dunno. They're blinded by something... .... ....Yeah, actually, I'm pretty sure it is stupidity....

I'm so impressed that my mind made this connection because it's been like.....what, like maybe 2 years since I've watched the Lord of the Rings. I'm going to have to fix that. I just realized how much I miss those movies. But anyways.

Cordelia. Faramir. Both of them love their fathers. Mom's out of the picture. (Maybe that's why their Dads act so dumb....?) Both super noble, willing to sacrifice for their father...and both of them actually show their fathers their love...how interesting. Who knew Lord of the Rings and Shakespeare have connections???

No comments:

Post a Comment