Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"You got me monologuing!!"

NEWSFLASH: This just in from our reporter on the scene...of the archives...at that one really old place...

The archivists have just revealed a portion of a speech they believe came from a play written by William Shakespeare. The subject of this play? William the Conqueror! Dun da duhhhhh!!

"O that I had never seen such darkness
In my tender infancy. Such a life
Would have overcome weaker men than I.
To think I might have been born a shepherd;
Whose only role is to watch young lambs play
In their peaceful fields, his hardest task to
Protect his flock from wandering wolves.
I confess, at times my heart longs for such
A dream as this. To see those peaceful fields.
But I fear my soul was not shaped for a
Shepherd. When I feel that fierce burning in
My veins to render my will on those who
Seek to take what's mine, to defy--"

And that's as far as they've uncovered. How exciting! What kind of character would have spoken lines like these?? I guess we can only wait to find out...

Ok, writing like Shakespeare is super hard. I do not know how he managed to be such a writing genius!
But I did my best to do iambic pentameter. I'm not sure if the unstressed-stressed all works out, but whatever. I threw some imagery in there and some alliteration and wah-lah! There you have it. For my folio.

4 comments:

  1. OH MAN! Katie, I totally thought about that monologuing quote all week. :) Go Disney fans.

    THIS IS AWESOME!

    Where do you think this would fit in? At what point of the story?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty good, considering it's Shakespeare the writing genius we are talking about. I do feel like the stress pattern is backwards when I read it, though. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's tricky business to get down, but trust me, it's one of those things that the more you read and experience the flow of shakespeare, the better you get it. Our few months in this class is not nearly enough to really get it down considering we've only been reading the text and not doing First Folio work on it.

      Great work Katie, I would love to see how this monologue is used in the real play of William the Conqueror.

      Delete